All fan-art obtained for this project is used only with the express permission of the artists.
If you really like some of the art or have questions, please contact the artist directly through their site.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dear diary...

Final Fantasy,CCG

You guys are in for a treat.

What a killer piece of Kain art. I don't know why, but I couldn't find suitable art for Kain, and I'd been looking since I started the game. Of course, I look recently, and Maiji uploads this awesome piece, which is not only suitable, but absolutely awesome. Watercolor is slowly becoming one of my favorite mediums, this is something I'd want to put on my wall!

Maiji also went above and beyond to get me the right to post it (the piece was a commission). I also wanted to thank the owner of the piece for allowing me to use it. Thanks so much you guys!

Check out Maiji's deviantart and site here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like I said, kind of weird right? Kain is a really popular character, and there isn't a lot of fan-art for him... how paradoxical.

Also, how is it that Kain is among the most badass characters in Final Fantasy, and yet... he's the most emo by a landslide. Kain is just full of paradoxes.

I tried to design Kain, similar to Amarant, where he is usable by all types of card game players.

For the thematic players, I hope I've captured the essence of Kain. Once he's in the field, he loses -400 ATT for each Baron character out. This is to illustrate his game-long love triangle with Rosa and Cecil. Yeah, with the Red Wings out in full force, he isn't going to be able to do too much but close the door and cry in the dark. This is great if Kain is your opponent, because this works on both sides of the field. Also note, that Kain affects himself. How's that for self-loathing?

For the combo players, yeah, Kain has this irritating drawback, but what if there was a way to suppress his ability? If you can manage, Kain is swinging for 1800 in your regular field, yeah, Auron can do this too, but Kain doesn't end up in your doomed pile after you win, plus Kain has the Jump skill.

For the power players, Kain is an 1800 attack one-shot. In case you forgot, the Jump ability is:
"After character is played from your reserves *down* it to immediately take a Fight action against an opposing character in play using your character's printed ATT. Jump cannot be countered." He's pretty much surgical removal for any problem you'll have on the board, and if you have the leader card, or generally some way to bounce him back and forth, he can get pretty nasty.

Whew, anyway, hope you like the card. It's time for bed.

2 comments:

  1. You can bet I'll be looking for ways to get the most out of Jump. It's a great out-of-nowhere surprise from the Reserves as a single shot, but only play will tell how cost-effective taking the time to maneuver him back into the reserves and out again would be.

    Fantastic work from Maiji - I'm glad permissions were secured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember back in playtest he could jump from anywhere, even from your discard. (Raise ended up making him a nightmare)

    If I was playing a competitive match, yeah, I'd probably stray away from popping him back and forth also, unless I absolutely needed him. The leader card seems to function best by keeping your leader alive. :)

    ReplyDelete